ISHCMC has very well equipped technology facilities.
These consist of six teaching laboratories and teachers’ self access workroom. One teaching laboratory is specifically designed to meet the needs of the Design Technology programme. In addition, there are computers in the Library and in classrooms. Art rooms are equipped with networked computers, scanners and colour printers. Multimedia facilities include: digital projectors, digital video camera, digital cameras, scanners, laser and colour printers, and a networked CD-ROM server. Internet access through a digital leased lines is provided.
The laboratories are operational from 7:30 AM – 3:30 PM, Monday - Friday. One is available for student use before school, during break times and after school.
Some of the features of the technology programme include:
- A 1 to 1 laptop programme in both the Middle and High School. Over the entire campus, a wireless network to support the use of these laptops.
- Elementary students have access to two classroom sets of laptops to further support the integration of technology.
- Many classrooms have mounted wireless projectors to provide a seamless integration of technology connecting the network server to the tablet to the projector screen to enhance the learning process.
- In addition to the portable laptops and tablets is a desktop computer in every classroom along with 5 purpose-built computer labs to support the integration of technology throughout the entire curriculum.
- Numerous digital and video cameras are available to capture the excellent learning opportunities supported by technology tools.
- Fast Internet access is provided through the use of a leased line, 5 optical fiber lines and ADSL lines. Middle and High School students are provided with school email accounts for educational purposes.
- Our web-based portal, the Online Learning Community (OLC) provides a means for students and teachers to post resources and assignments which students can submit online.
- A 3-year technology plan has been implemented this year with two technology committees formed to plan future technology developments for the school.
Technology at ISHCMC is essentially concerned with solving problems in an effort to encourage students to combine intellectual talents and practical skills. In particular, students are encouraged to display ingenuity and creativity in devising practical solutions to given tasks.
Technology at our school is valuable for reinforcing and integrating skills learned in other disciplines, especially in the presentation and handling of data and the processes involved in the design and manufacture of a product. At the same time, it fosters awareness of the social and ethical implications of technological development. I am lucky enough to have been a part of this school for over 10 years.